I’m pretty obsessed when it comes to my children, safety, and the car. When we recently traded our vehicle in for a minivan, I researched on crash test ratings for hours. And when it comes to car seats, we want nothing but the best and safest options.
Both of the boys have ridden in Britax Marathon seats since they outgrew their infant car seats, and we’ve loved them. We did a lot of research (shocker, right?) when it first came time to purchase J’s seat, and we knew from statistics and tons of parent reviews that Britax was the brand we wanted to go with. Oh, and as if we needed another reason to buy Britax, they now have a Registry Rewards program that lets parents earn a free convertible Britax car seat!
Now they’ve added another model to their line-up – the Pavilion 70-G3.
We got sent a Pavilion to review – C, our 3-year-old, was SO excited to get a new seat – and we continue to be impressed with Britax and their thoughtfulness in designing products. For one thing, their convertible car seats can be used for a LONG time – 5-40 pounds rear-facing, and up to 70 pounds forward-facing.
This means that you can use the seat right from the start (once baby E is born in September watch for a post showing you how the seat works for newborns too!) and all the way up until your child is ready for a booster. I personally am a huge fan of kids staying in a 5-point harness for as long as possible, so I love the high weight limit on their seats.
I’ve got to list all the features of the seat – it’s an impressive list, and if you don’t know about Britax seats yet, you’ll quickly see why their seats are top-notch (I’ve added my thoughts to some of the features in bolded parenthesis):
- HUGS Chest Pads with SafeCell Technology are affixed to the seat shell to ensure proper positioning while SafeCells compress to manage energy and provide resistance to the forward movement of your child in a crash, reducing the risk of head injury (If you watch the crash-test videos of kids in car seats, head injuries are by far the scariest aspect in my opinion. This added technology helps protect the most critical parts of our kiddos.)
- EZ-Buckle System retains the harness buckle in a forward position and prevents the child from sitting on the buckle when boarding (Oh, how I love this feature. I can’t tell you how many times we’ve had to get the kids to pull the buckle out for us to be able to buckle them up. This makes it SO much easier!)
- True Side Impact Protection is deep side walls with energy-absorbing EPP foam along with a head restraint which offers a double layer of EPP foam to distribute crash forces, shield from vehicle intrusion, and contain the head, neck and body while keeping them “in true” or aligned.
- Base with SafeCell Technology features SafeCells designed to compress in a crash, significantly lowering the center of gravity and counteracting the forward rotation of the child seat which normally propels the child toward the front seat.
- Integrated Steel Bars strengthen the connection to the vehicle and reduce forward flexing of the child seat during a crash (This is one of the first things we noticed about the seat, and it really is reassuring to see those strong steel bars protecting the sides of the seat).
- Energy-Absorbing Versa-Tether features a staged-release tether webbing to slow the forward movement, reducing the crash forces reaching the child, and a two-point attachment to minimize forward rotation while anchoring the top of the child seat.
- Click & Safe® Snug Harness Indicator is an audible aid that provides extra assurance when the harness is within range of appropriate snugness (This is SO useful, in part because we had our straps too loose for a while without realizing it!).
- Tangle-Free, Five-Point Harness distributes crash forces across the strongest parts of the body and provides a secure fit.
- 70-pound Weight Capacity for safety and comfort as your child grows.
- Rear and Forward Facing Recline for child comfort and positioning.
- High Density Comfort Foam provides an extra layer of padding to gently cushion your child.
- Plush, Easy-Remove Cover with matching comfort pads and infant body pillow to provide extra comfort and easy cleaning without disassembling or uninstalling the child seat.
- Two Buckle Positions for your growing child
- Infant Positioning Insert may be necessary for small infants to achieve a snug fit of the harness around your child (sold separately).
- Quick-Adjust, No-Rethread Harness repositions the harness shoulder height without disassembling the harness straps.
- Premium Lower LATCH Connectors for a quick and simple installation featuring a push button for easy release.
- Built-in Lock-Offs ensure a snug lap and shoulder belt installation with minimal effort
- Anti-Slip, Contoured Base grips and protects the vehicle seat while offering optimum vehicle fit.
- Harness Holders keep harness straps pulled to the sides when placing your child in the car seat.
- Certified for Aircraft Travel
- Made in the USA with global components
As you can see, this seat has it all! We also loved how easy it was to adjust the height of the seat by simply squeezing the handle at the top and pulling it up.
I’d give this seat 5-stars all around. It’s comfortable, easy to install, easy to adjust, great to look at, and most of all SAFE. As I said, we were already Britax fans but this seat just cements that even further.
The Pavilion 70-G3 retails for $339.99 and you can find it many places – online at retailers like Amazon, and in-store at Buy Buy Baby, Babies R Us and more. But guess what? You can also…
One winner will get a Britax Pavilion 70-G3 car seat (ARV $339.99)! This contest is open to all U.S. residents aged 18+. Entries will be accepted until the end of the day (midnight Central) Saturday, September 15. By entering this giveaway you agree to the Official Rules.
Note: We received a Britax Pavilion to facilitate our review. I was not compensated monetarily for this post. All opinions are honest and are my own.