What’s on your list to bake this Thanksgiving? I love to bake and Thanksgiving is a great opportunity for all kinds of baking fun.
Luckily I have several friends who like to bake too, so I decided to hold a baking party Thursday – it’s one week before Thanksgiving and a perfect time to share some recipes and get some practice in for the big day. We’re going to be using Great Value pie crust to make a couple of different pies, and the Great Value crescent roll dough to try out a new appetizer recipe!
When picking an appetizer recipe for us to try, I was very tempted to go with an all-time favorite – Crunchy Chicken Crescents. But instead I decided to try a recipe my friend Jennifer found that combines some of my favorite flavors – jalapeno, bacon and cream cheese. Sounds like a perfect Texas appetizer, don’t you think?
Jalapeno Cream Bites
- 2 tubes Great Value crescent rolls
- 1 8 oz. block of cream cheese
- 4 medium jalapeno peppers, with seeds & ribs removed, chopped and broiled in oven
- 1 package of bacon, cooked, drained & crumbled
- Unroll tube of crescent roll dough. While still in a single sheet, sprinkle half of the crumbled bacon over the dough, pressing the pieces into the dough. Then separate triangles and cut each one in half.
- Place a small spoonful of cream cheese and several pieces of jalapeno in the middle of each triangle, then fold up the sides so the cream cheese and jalapeno are sealed inside the dough.
- Bake in the oven according to package directions for the crescent roll dough, or until golden brown.
For pies, I think we’re going to make an American classic – the apple pie – and one of my friend Chemese’s favorite, a sweet potato pie (which I don’t think I’ve ever tried before). Each of us will get to pick which type of pie we’d like to make so we can have one to enjoy after the party. One tip – beyond extra pie crusts needed for double-crust pies, I’m going to purchase an extra Great Value pie crust to use for cutting shapes (leaves would be great for fall) to embellish our pies with. It’s an easy way to add a little something special!
I’m looking at trying this apple pie recipe, and this sweet potato pie recipe. I hope you’ll check back to see how our baking party turned out. If only there were a way to share food through the internet so you could sample some, too!
I went shopping with my little shopping buddy this morning to pick up ingredients for the baking party.
She was mostly there for moral support. ;)
I love shopping for Great Value products, I must say – I was able to buy so much for the party and keep it affordable! My first stop was getting the crescent roll dough:
And I decided to go ahead and pick up some biscuit dough, too. We love to have biscuits on hand for breakfast or dinner – they’re so versatile.
I bought pie crusts, too – 10 of them, in fact! I wanted to make sure everyone has a pie to take home from the party, and to have extra dough for embellishments like I mentioned earlier.
Check out all that I got for the baking party (I had a few ingredients, like sugar, cinnamon, etc. on hand already):
I’ll do some prep work prior to the party like pre-cooking the sweet potatoes and cooking the bacon, but we’ll do most of the work once everyone arrives. Can’t wait to show your our finished products!