Note: I received a gift card to procure ingredients for my recipe. All opinions are honest and are entirely my own.
We love to cook in our house, and trying different flavor combinations for pizza is something we do pretty often – we’ve found some combos we just love over the years! One thing we haven’t ever played around with – until now – is the format of the pizza. It’s always just been dough on bottom, sauce, cheese, toppings. Ragú inspired us to do something completely different, and the recipe we discovered is going to be a new staple in our recipe rotation!
I was inspired by Ragú’s Upside-Down Deep Dish Pizza recipe – you can see from the photo above that it looks pretty amazing! We decided to have our good friends come over for dinner, and since there were going to be 5 kids involved in this dinner, I thought it would be fun to make mini versions of the recipe using a muffin tin. I’ll include the ingredients and directions at the bottom of the post so you can try making this recipe, too! And don’t forget to check out Ragú’s Facebook page to find even more recipes to try
We used Ragú® Old World Style® Pasta Sauce instead of pizza sauce, and oh my word we should’ve been doing this all along for our pizzas. There is so much more flavor packed into this sauce than others we’ve used before, and I like that it sneaks servings of veggies in for the kids. Each jar is made with 11 juicy tomatoes, making it Ragú’s richest, thickest recipe.
My friend Kristi used two sizes of plastic cups to cut out rounds of pizza dough – a larger round went into the bottom of the muffin tin, and we used the smaller one to top it off:
We used a variety of combinations to fill the pizzas. For some we used ground beef mixed with some of the Ragú® Old World Style® Pasta Sauce, some had spinach, some had pepperoni, and some had a mixture of the three, along with shredded mozzarella.
Once all the pizzas were filled, we topped off the dough and folded the edges of the top and bottom together to get a nice seal. We also snipped a small slit in the top to allow steam to escape while baking.
We baked these until the dough on top was golden brown, and they popped out of the muffin tin really easily. Don’t they look delicious?
And each one is filled with all sorts of flavor:
They were a hit with everyone!
These would be great for grab & go dinners, because it would be incredibly easy to eat these while you’re out and about. They make nice leftovers, too – just pop a couple in your lunch bag and you’re all set at work the next day!
Is your mouth watering yet? Here’s the recipe so you can go home and make these tonight:
- Ragú® Old World Style® Pasta Sauce
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- Mozzarella cheese
- Pizza dough, either store-bought or homemade
- Any other ingredients you’d like to add! Red peppers, onions, olives, and mushrooms could all be great additions.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut out a round of pizza dough to press into the bottom of a well in your muffin tin – there should be a little dough overhanging the edges so you can crimp it with the top layer of dough to seal! Put dough out for as many of the pizzas as you’d like to make. This recipe is versatile so you can do as few or as many as you’d like!
- Fill your pizzas with whatever combinations of ingredients sound best, making sure to have some Ragú® Old World Style® Pasta Sauce either in between layers or on the top so you have flavor and so your pizza isn’t dry. Don’t pile your ingredients any higher than the top of the muffin tin.
- Put a smaller round of pizza dough on top of your creation, and fold the edges from the bottom layer over, pressing to seal the two rounds of dough. Using kitchen shears, snip a small slit in the top of each one to allow steam to escape.
- Bake your pizzas until the dough is golden brown. Enjoy!
In the mood for all things Italian after reading about this recipe? Be sure and enter the Ragú Better and Better Sweepstakes for a chance to win great Authentic Italian themed prizes, including a grand prize trip to Italy for a family of four at www.RaguSweeps.com!