I’ve made peanut butter cookies more times than I can count. They’re one of Brian’s favorite cookies, and the rest of us happen to love them too, so they’re a logical go-to whenever I’m in the mood to bake. I had never really deviated from my standard recipe, until my peanut butter world was rocked with a brownie I tried. It was a peanut butter-chocolate brownie, and it was amazing. And it had hints of – wait for it – cinnamon. Totally unexpected, right? I knew then that I’d have to try incorporating cinnamon into my next batch of peanut butter cookies, and boy am I glad I did. The result is a thick, soft cookie with crispy edges, and a subtle warmth complimenting the salty flavor of the peanut butter.
These peanut butter cookie squares are quick to make because you don’t have to scoop out individual cookies – I just press the dough out into a cookie sheet with raised sides, just like this one. I wanted the cookies to still have a quaint touch, but since making marks with forks would be difficult to do en masse, I pulled out our rocker-style pizza cutter and gently scored the top of the dough, giving it a quilted effect.
Beautiful and delicious. Easy, too.
I shared this recipe on my food blog, but thought it deserved a little love over here, too. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1½ cups smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream together the butter, peanut butter, white sugar and brown sugar in a mixer on medium speed.
- Beat in eggs, then add vanilla and cinnamon.
- Add in baking powder, baking soda, and salt one at a time until well-incorporated.
- With the mixer on low, add flour one cup at a time, then turn mixer up to medium-high until everything is blended.
- Press the cookie dough evenly into 10×15 cookie sheet with raised sides. Using a pizza cutter or knife, score the dough vertically and horizontally to create a grid across the dough.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until the cookies are slightly golden in the center. While cookies are still warm gently press the edges of the cookie to get a nice even top.
- Once the cookies have cooled, cut them into squares and serve.