This is a sponsored post with Luxury Retreat. All opinions are honest and are my own.
It’s that time of year again – everyone is out shopping for gifts for their loved ones. We’ve tried to get started shopping earlier this year, but there are still quite a few gifts left on our list.
Sometimes shopping for your spouse or significant other can be the hardest hurdle to get over for the holidays. If you’re scratching your head at what to get for your spouse, why not consider travel?
Here are some locations to consider for great destinations that would make a special gift for someone special in your life:
- Morocco: Find Marrakech rentals online and you’ll be all set for your visit. When people think of world travel, their minds often jump straight to Europe. Morocco is a place filled with beautiful sights and loads of cultural opportunities. Jardin Majorelle and Menara gardens are both beautiful gardens that are perfect for strolling and relaxing – what a perfect way to start (or end) your day of sightseeing? Jemaa el-Fnaa is another must-do. There are tons of shops, you can take a private food tour, and you can even have a cooking lesson while you’re there. Food is such a great window into another culture, and learning to cook a culture’s food would be a really fun activity. There are also Hammams & Turkish baths that would provide a really unique experience.
- Czech Republic: Prague is another beautiful city filled with Renaissance architecture, world-class museums, and more. The Prague Castle is a must-see. The old town square is another place to add to your list. It has remained relatively untouched since the 10th century, letting you feel almost like you’ve stepped back in time. There are many charming restaurants providing alfresco dining opportunities. You’ll also see lots of street performers, musicians and merchants along the streets. And if you’re a Beatles fan, you’ve got to stop and see the Lennon wall. It is covered in John Lennon and The Beatles graffiti, lyrics and quotations since the (dating back to the 1980s) and is a very popular tourist site.
- Japan: Tokyo was named by Time Magazine as one of the 20 best places to visit this year. This city is a great mix of sci-fi looking architecture and traditional experiences. Did you know that Tokyo has more Michelin stars than any other city? You can also find amazing sushi for less than $8 – and you won’t want to miss Robot Restaurant, so be sure and book tickets in advance. You can watch sumo wrestlers practice, and if you want something truly out of this world you can try out one of many virtual reality venues. If you like to shop, be sure and visit Don Quijote (also called Donki). You’ll find a little bit of everything: snacks & sweets, clothes, electronic products, household goods, souvenirs, and more. Don Quijote stores can be found at many locations but the biggest branch is located in Shibuya, which has 7 stories and is open 24 hours a day. This would be a great place to shop for souvenirs.
- Georgia: The country, not the state! This is one location that wouldn’t typically be on my radar, but just look at the photo of Tbilisi above – isn’t that a gorgeous vista? Tbilisi is the largest city in Georgia (with roughly 1.5 million citizens) and is the capital. There are many things worth seeing and doing in this city, like visiting the famous sulphur baths in the middle of the old town. The sulphur baths are unique and are an amazing spot to relax for an hour or even for a whole afternoon. Mtatsminda Park is another must-do location. It’s not only the highest point surrounding Tbilisi; it also has a small amusement park, a ferris wheel, restaurants and bars.
- Greece: Even if you don’t read the rest of this text, the photo alone would be enough to convince most people they need to visit. Santorini’s volcanic history has led to the formation of some unique and beautiful beaches like Kamari. Go and soak up some sun and enjoy the beautiful views! When you think of wine, you probably think of France or Italy, but Santorini has a lot to offer when it comes to wine, too. The soil in Santorini, which is partially composed of volcanic sediment, creates a unique flavor in the wine from grapes grown there that is difficult to find anywhere else. So go visit a winery and grab a bottle to enjoy on your trip to the beach!
- Australia: Alice Springs isn’t a city most people think of initially when they’re planning a trip to Australia, but it has a lot to offer. For one thing – you can visit a kangaroo sanctuary! The Alice Springs sanctuary is the location of the famous Kangaroo Dundee documentary series (BBC UK / National Geographic USA) When visiting the sanctuary, you can interact with kangaroos in their natural habitat on a guided sunset tour. Another location that’s worth a visit is Desert Park. This location has a wide variety of plants, birds, animals and people of our arid regions within one location. There are also opportunities to take hot air balloon rides. The Araluen Arts Centre on the edge of town is another spot worth visiting. It has several galleries of Central Australian Aboriginal art and much more.
No matter where you end up traveling, the gift of the experience is something your loved one will adore, and you’ll make memories you can cherish together for a lifetime.