I received a Young Living starter kit & diffuser to test out and to facilitate my post. I was not compensated monetarily for this post, and all opinions are honest and are my own.
Over the past few years, more and more of my friends have jumped on the essential oils train. I’ve seen Facebook posts galore of how various oils have helped them or their kids with a variety of illnesses or issues. I’ve dabbled in using essential oils a tiny bit, and my main experience with them (peppermint & eucalyptus rolled on my temples during a bout of migraine headaches) was positive. That being said, I am largely clueless when it comes to the vast world of essential oils.
My friend Tiffany is one of the aforementioned friends who I’ve seen posting about oils on Facebook. She and her family (she’s married and has two elementary-aged kiddos – see their adorable family below) use Young Living oils for all sorts of different things, and I’ve been amazed at some of the ways in which oils have helped them out.
I’ve got to admit, though – there’s always going to be a part of me that’s skeptical about something until I’ve tried it for myself. I know for a fact that the peppermint and eucalyptus oils really did help my pain management during my migraines, but that’s just two oils and one malady. I’ve been really curious to try the oils out and see what I think about them.
Tiffany was awesome and sent me a Young Living premium starter kit to test drive quite a few different oils for myself. Since I’m so new to the oily world, and maybe some of you are a lot like me, I thought it’d be helpful to do a couple of posts as I give this all a try. You can learn along with me! You can see at the top of this post a photo of what all came in the kit I received.
Part of my hesitance to try essential oils is that it can seem overwhelming, honestly. There’s so much to learn! This first post will break down a bit of info about oils in the starter kit – Tiffany sends out an email each day with some tidbits of information for the first 14 days, and it’s been a really practical and easy way for me to ease into the world of EO’s. I thought I’d share one way you can use each oil from the kit.
- Peppermint – Mix with water and witch hazel to create a cooling spray.
- Lavender – Make a linen spray to use on your pillows before bed.
- Lemon – Add lemon to your moisturizer to help clarify skin & reduce the appearance of blemishes (lemon is photosensitive so apply it 12+ hours before going out into the sun).
- Frankincense – (this is one I was pretty clueless about other than knowing it was a gift from the wise men at Jesus’ birth!) Tiffany said she makes her own face serum with Frankincense and Lavender for a healthy glow and to minimize the appearance of wrinkles.
- Copaiba – (pronounced co-pie-ee-ba – I had never even heard of this one before) Mix with honey and warm water to create a post workout tea.
- DiGize – Make a tummy roller with equal parts DiGize and Peppermint. Use it anytime you have sour stomach or after you’ve eaten too much good food! Roll it on and rub it in.
- Thieves – Use thieves mouthwash or toothpaste to naturally support oral health (Tiffany says thieves is one of her very favorite oils).
- RC – Pop on a roller top and roll along sinus passages (I’m really excited to try this one because my sinuses have been bugging me with all the crazy Texas weather).
- Panaway – Apply to shoulders to promote relaxation after a stressful day (I’m looking forward to trying this one too, because I tend to have tension in my neck and shoulders at the end of the day).
- Purification – Freshen your stinky shoes, diaper pail, trash can, litter box, or anything that stinks with a little purification dropped on a cotton ball and placed inside.
- Stress Away – Roll it on your wrists and neck to help relieve stress and nervousness.
- Ningxia Red – The wolfberry, which is the primary ingredient in Ningxia Red, is one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet. Drink one ounce a day to help with energy and mental clarity.
Another thing that was included in the starter kit was a checklist that I think is a genius way to figure out what oils you’ll use most in your day-to-day life. You check off items you use, and then on the carbon copy page below you’ll see the corresponding oils you can use to replace the products you’ve used so far.
I’m really thankful to Tiffany for the emails she sent. I feel like they provided me with a great foundation to start with, and along with the information in the starter kit I am armed with a ton of knowledge.
If you have questions about any of the oils or would like to get your own premium starter kit, I can’t encourage you enough to get in touch with Tiffany (connect with her on Facebook and she’ll add you to an awesome informational group). She is passionate about essential oils, and she’s a truly genuine person – so you’ll get nothing but the truth from her. She can help you figure out which oils would be great for you to start with. Click here for a link to her site if you’d like to browse through all the Young Living offerings – I can’t wait to try some of the cleaning products!
I’ll be back with another post next week updating you on my opinions and experiences with the oils so keep an eye out! In the meantime – we’re setting up the diffuser in our bedroom tonight and I’m excited to see how I sleep with lavender in the air!