In case you didn’t know, this is National Raisin Week! To celebrate, I thought I’d share a recipe that features a lot of raisins, and is delicious – carrot cake cookies.
I grew up eating carrot cake, and never even really thought about the fact that it had veggies in it. I just loved the cinnamon flavor and juicy raisins, which is why I think my kids will love these carrot cake cookies. Since they’re crispier than cake, I think the texture of the carrots will be hidden even better – and who doesn’t love raisins in cookies? I even added rolled oats for a little extra fiber and texture!
Here’s the recipe for you to try:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 (heaping) cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch cloves
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In mixer, cream together butter, sugars, egg, and vanilla on medium speed until well-blended and fluffy.
- Add in carrots, salt, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Add flour a little at a time, allowing each bit to incorporate before adding more.
- Stir in rolled oats and raisins.
- Place tablespoon-sized mounds of dough on a cookie sheet (12 to a sheet). Bake for 12 minutes or until cookies are slightly browned on bottom – they won’t look very brown on top. Press each cookie down with a spatula to flatten it. Let cool, and serve. You can top these with a cream cheese frosting, but they’re delicious on their own!
For more delicious recipes featuring raisins for National Raisin Week, visit a few of my favorite blogs:
- Arroz con Leche (Mexican Rice Pudding) from Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Raisin Cinnamon Swirl French Toast by Adventures in All Things Food
- Chewy, Delicious Oatmeal Raisin Coconut Cookies by Our Family World
- Oatmeal Raisin Muffins by Wife Mom Geek
- Carrot Raisin Salad by Thrifty Jinxy
- Make a Simple Cinnamon Raisin Bread by Day by Day in Our World
- Orange Raisin Muffins with Orange Glaze by Mom Does it All
- Chai Raisin Donuts by Upstate Ramblings
- Oatmeal Raisin Apple Muffins by My Sweet Sanity