If you’ve walked in Target lately you’ve probably noticed the overabundance of pink in the store right now (which my daughter thinks is perfection, by the way. You can never have too much pink!), and although Valentine’s Day is still over a month away it’s definitely been on my mind. We don’t do a lot for the holiday, but we’ll plan valentines for classmates, something little to do for each of the kids, and Brian and I usually do something small for each other, too.
In thinking about Valentine’s Day, I was brainstorming some fun dessert ideas for the inevitable class parties and thought these chocolate & sprinkle coated shortbread cookies would be really perfect. They’re pretty adorable, they’re delicious, and they’re not messy to eat like cupcakes. They’re also really easy – and fairly quick – to make, which earns HUGE points in my book!
I typically have one of the kiddos help me with my Mini Chef Mondays posts, but this was a very busy weekend and I’ll admit that I made these cookies at about 12:15 this morning. SO, I’ve included a collage of my kiddos with the cookies, because they’ll end up being the primary consumers!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup milk chocolate chips
- Cream the butter, sugar, and vanilla together.
- Add in the salt and mix well.
- Mix in the flour until everything is well-combined.
- Add water sparingly until your dough starts to come together.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes, and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll your dough out to about 1/2″ thick, and use cookie cutters to achieve your desired shape – hearts are perfect for Valentine’s Day!
- Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees until your cookies are golden.
- Once the cookies have cooled, dip them in chocolate, adding sprinkles if you’d like!
As always, I am hosting Mini Chef Mondays along with 11 fabulous bloggers!
Be sure to check out each of their Mini Chef posts as well. We would love it if you would share your Mini Chef posts with us each week, too! Follow along socially and join in on the fun by using our hashtag #MiniChefMondays to share creations your mini chef created in the kitchen. Additionally, if you have a kid-friendly recipe that kids can easily recreate link up! Don’t have a blog? Share the URL of your instagram photo in our linky below.
- Easy Fruit Salad Recipe for Valentine’s Day // Courtney’s Sweets
- Red Velvet Waffles // Momma Lew
- Homemade Cherry Banana Ice Cream // Baby Loving Mama
- Peanut Butter Cheesecake Overnight Oats // We’re Parents
- Chocolate & Sprinkle Coated Shortbread Cookies // Frugal Novice
- Best Lactation Cookies Recipe // Eating Richly
- Brown Bag Microwave Popcorn // Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps
- Chicken & Broccoli Quesadilla // Step Stool Chef
- Farro with Roasted Vegetables // Vegging at the Shore
- Chocolate Strawberry Puppy Chow // Mom’s Messy Miracles
- Healthy Ambrosia Salad // O’Boy! Organic
- Cinnamon Sugar Dessert Preussens // Can’t Google Everything