If you live in Texas, it’s quite likely that you’ve had a classic dish: corn chips topped with chili, and often finished off with a sprinkling of cheddar cheese. I can’t even count the number of times that I’ve eaten it – school lunches, football games, youth activities – it’s a go-to meal for Texans, and with good reason. It’s SO good, and so easy to prepare!
When Hormel gave me the opportunity to think of a recipe to represent my state, my mind immediately went to the classic, and it only made sense to embellish the original with a little TexMex flair. We eat Mexican or TexMex food at least twice a week in our family, so it’s a logical conclusion that adding TexMex flavors would provide us with a dish we all love.
I’m calling this recipe Texas Nachos, and y’all, it’s SO easy. And SO delicious. I can’t believe I’ve missed eating these my whole life!
To prepare Texas Nachos you really just need to do a little prep work:
- Grate your favorite kind of cheese. We used a sharp cheddar, but you could use pepper jack, monterrey jack, or whatever floats your boat. I’m a big fan of having freshly grated cheese versus buying the pre-shredded stuff – it’s just so much better!
- Cube an avocado or two. The mellow flavor is perfect with the Hormel chili!
- Dice up an onion. We used a sweet onion, but if you want a sharper flavor you could use a red onion, or you could go with green onions.
- Chop cilantro. Oh my word, y’all. The cilantro makes this dish. Yum.
- Open a container of sour cream, and give it a stir. I know. Super hard, right?
- Pour a can of Hormel Chili (we used the kind with no beans, but you can certainly use the kind with beans if you prefer) into a bowl and heat it through in your microwave.
- Open your bag of corn chips. I have to wait and do this right before it’s time to sit down or I end up munching on too many!
Once you’ve got your ingredients all ready, it’s just a matter of assembling – put the chips on your plate first, and follow it with the Hormel chili, then the remaining ingredients. This is a great dish to serve at parties because people can customize their plate, but trust me when I tell you to make yours look like the one in my picture – this combination of flavors is seriously amazing.
If you’d like to make your own Texas Nachos (and trust me, you do), you’ll want to get a coupon for $1 off! After completing a brief quiz on the Hormel Chili website, audiences can download a $1 off the purchase of any two Hormel Chili products.
HORMEL® Chili shared over 50 regional ways to enjoy chili on their website and Facebook page to show fans Chili Nation, a nation that has declared their love for all things chili! Visit the HORMEL® Chili website for a sampling of recipes and chili pairings from every state, it also features videos, quizzes, and a coupon offering.
Thank you to HORMEL® Chili for sponsoring today’s post and inspiring me to try a new way to eat chili!
I love dipping Fritos in chili…not sure why I didn’t ever think to make nachos out of them lol
Hope you love it as much as we did! I am hooked! :)