With kids in the house, cleaning takes on another vital role beyond just having your house look nice. You do it to stop the spread of germs, too! It took me a while to learn this lesson. When Brian and I were first married, I cleaned for aesthetics. I wanted our place to look nice, and I feel better in a clean space. I didn’t really think about germs other than making sure I washed my hands often.
Now that we have three kids, and especially with having an infant in the house, we are very conscious of how quickly germs – and illness – can spread. We’ve seen firsthand how the stomach bug can go oh-so-quickly from our older son to our younger one. And I even recently had the unpleasant experience of catching a stomach bug from our 6-month-old daughter. While I’d much rather be sick than have one of the kids catch an illness, I think everyone knows that when mom is out of commission it makes everything harder! It’s vital that we all stay well, and LYSOL recognizes the importance of that with our cleaning habits.
LYSOL has introduced the concept of Healthing, which is the extension of LYSOL and its Mission for Health. This is the motivation behind the creation of their products that are centered on killing 99.9 percent of germs and providing solutions for the home that help promote good hygiene and disinfection. The idea of Healthing goes beyond cleaning – and looks more holistically at how a healthy home helps to keep families thriving.
For LYSOL, Healthing goes beyond its products to provide the education and motivation to keep a healthy home and family. This includes:
- Connecting with 65,000 schools to promote healthy habits and good hygiene.
- Providing educational programs that reach 50 percent of new moms with health and wellness related to caring for their newborns.
- Working with trusted third-party organizations to promote the ideas that Healthing embodies, which include the National PTA, the Global Hygiene Council and the National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners, to name a few.
LYSOL has some tips for keeping your house clean AND – more importantly – healthy. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Don’t let spring cleaning overwhelm you – take it one room at a time and stock up on products that will help you to get the job done effectively, including LYSOL® products, paper towels, sponges, and trash bags. (Check out my cleaning calendar for an easy schedule of doing a little cleaning each day!)
- Know the difference between cleaning and disinfecting! Both are important components of the Healthing process and LYSOL® has products that can help with all related tasks. While cleaning and organizing is certainly important, killing germs on commonly touched surfaces can lower the risk of spreading bacteria and viruses between members of the family. (I LOVE this one because it’s simple but so true – it’s easy to disinfect while you do your standard cleaning, just by using great LYSOL products that allow you to get rid of germs easily).
- Don’t forget to disinfect places that you don’t see or think about often, like the door knobs, cabinet handles or sink drains. (YES! I’d add remotes, video game controllers, keys and phones to this list too).
- Make it a family activity and tailor tasks to specific age groups. Give younger children simpler, one-step tasks like dusting or picking toys up off the floor, and save the more complex jobs, such as vacuuming, scrubbing, and disinfecting for older members of the family. (This is a great way to develop good habits in your kids from an early age. We are really starting to work with our boys on helping us with the cleaning.)
LYSOL disinfecting wipes are a staple in our house. We use them for cleaning countertops, our dining table, spills and more. I also love them for cleaning off hard-surface toys. What do you use for keeping your house clean AND your family healthy? Do you have any favorite cleaning tips?
I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for LYSOL®. I received a promotional item to thank me for participating.