If you’re looking for a way to spruce up your house but don’t want to spend a lot of money, just get creative! There are a lot of ways to turn old items you have around the house into something new and great. Here are a few inexpensive ways to add some flair to your home decor and give everyday household items new life:
1. Turn an old picture frame into a vanity tray. Whether you keep the frame “as is” with old photograph and all or insert patterned gift wrap in the frame, picture frames make a terrific vanity tray. The frame edges keep items from sliding off, while the glass top can be easily cleaned. Paint the frame to make it match your decor. You can even buy handles at your local hardware store pretty inexpensively if you want to add something more to the tray.
2. Re-use a sleek wine or water bottle as a vase. Turn glass bottles you already have around into a great home décor piece for fresh flowers. For example, you could add champagne colored stones into an empty VOGA Italia Wine Moscato bottle to match the champagne colored detailing.
3. Turn cake pedestals into decorative displays. If you think cake pedestals look gorgeous with a one of your homemade cakes on top, try using them as a decorative piece for candles, flowers and more. Add some height to your centerpieces and displays by putting some elements at surface level and others on the cake plate. You’ll free up space in your kitchen cabinet, too! I also have used square plates as candle bases before – just take a large white square plate (I got mine for just a couple of dollars) and group candles on it. Voila! Much cheaper than buying something specifically made for candles!
4. Turn old clothing into throw pillows. Turn outgrown, outworn or even stained clothing into great throw pillows. Cut two squares of equal size from your clothing of choice, sew the edges and fill with pillow stuffing. You can add embellishments to dress it up a little, or leave it as is for a fun look.
5. Reuse glass bottles as soap dispensers. Use old glass bottles to dispense your hand soap, body oil or body wash. I love the idea of using vintage bottles, but you could even use a basic clear bottle for a clean and fresh touch.
6. Turn old jars into hanging candle holders. I think this is such a charming look, especially for summer. For an elegant & fun touch to your indoor or outdoor décor, wrap wire around the lip of old jam jars and create a hanging loop. Display under porch beams, curtain rods or anywhere you need a playful touch – and if you feel like this is out of your realm, you can find really cute mason jar creations and more in the Treasure Again shop on Etsy!
I love repurposing old items – I’ve also taken old windows found at garage sales and turned them into tables or picture frames. What’s your favorite way to repurpose something? Do you have a project you’re particularly proud of? Share in the comments – I love hearing ideas for this kind of thing!